Friday, March 26, 2010

Craft Fair Extraordinaire Feature Interview #13 (Good Girls Studio)

Today, we will learn a bit more about Johanna Ely from Good Girls Studio! I am pleased to hear that she participates in quite a lot of trunk shows and other fun, fashion-related events. I love the photos from this show: Good Girls Studio @ Durham Art Walk. The table covers are a cute addition too! It is great how the table display tends to always have 2 layers/levels to it. This wonderful artist really considers putting her work into a magical little environment of its own, perfect for a shopper to get lost in!! The vintage jewels, and also the vintage looking displays mesh perfectly together!!! Here is her fun interview:



1.) Please tell us a bit about yourself:
Name/Company Name: Johanna Ely/ Good Girls Studio
General Location if you want: Raleigh NC
Website or Contact Info:http://goodgirlsstudio.com
Her Etsy Page.

2.) What form of art/craft do you make? I am an eco-friendly jewelry designer & I revamp vintage jewelry & found objects into modern one of a kind wearable art.



3.) When did you start vending at Craft Fairs? Were you successful at first? I've been at it for 3 yrs now. My first 2 markets I barely covered my booth fee!


4.) What is/was your favorite Art/Craft Fair you have ever attended/vended at and why?I love selling at the Rock & Shop markets in Raleigh. Beer, bands & shopping...what more could a girl want!/!

5.) What was your least favorite Fair to attend/vend at? Why? Don't really have a least favorite but I do NOT like outdoor fairs. Your best bet for rain or 100 degree heat would be if I was working a tent ...always!!! Not even kidding! I've stopped working outdoor festivals!


This plate display is genius!!

6.) Who tends to be your target audience? What tends to be your best selling item(s)? 24-40 yrs. who are vintage hoarders or fashionistas. My best selling items are my Backstabber Collection which feature vintage pocketknives & hearts. There story line is "we were best of friends until you told everyone my secrets " !


7.) Do you ever do marketing for your upcoming shows, or do you leave it to the Show Coordinators? If you do promotions, how do you do them, and do they seem to work well? Do you ever do giveaways at shows? Give out lots of business cards, etc...
I promote any & all events I attend through Facebook, twitter & my blog. The last show I did was a fashion show /fundraiser & I met quite a few FB fans that I hadn't met in person! Never thought of having a giveaway at a show, something to ponder!


8.) Have you ever helped put a show together or run a show? Which one(s)? Not yet (aside from hosting my own home or store trunk shows) but it is a goal of mine for this year!




9.) How have Flickr, Etsy, Facebook, etc helped you expand your crafty business? I've met & made soo many great connections via Etsy & FB. The support of fellow artists means the world to me! It's great to be able to bounce ideas off like minded craftistas!



10.) What do you think the difference is between an Art Show and a Craft Fair? If there is any difference...I personally feel that the major difference is the perception of the words art vs. craft & that gives the buyer a price point in their mind. I personally do terrible at any show labeled "craft" as I have a higher end jewelry line. Most people who go to those shows expect to purchase most items under $20 & my median $ amount is $56. That being said, you all know the saying "opinions are like..." ; ) Just my own 2 cents!



11.) If you wish, please list your upcoming shows for 2010 and beyond.
On the schedule thus far are 2 back to back fashionshows...
CouturEvolution April 16th (put on by the fashion dept. @ UNC) & Redress Raleigh April17th (an eco-friendly fashion show). I'll be selling at the Green Bazaar as part of planet earth day on the 17th as well.



12.) Any words of advice for people who do not think their setup is as good as it could be? What is your most successful layout for a table or booth. Be as general or specific as you want.
It's all what you make of it Let your personality shine. I love the use of vintage props with my jewelry as it compliments the aesthetics of my designs. Use what inspires you & if all else fails, a black tablecloth can be your best friend & let your work shine out & stand alone!


13.) Any closing remarks? Research, research ,research! Don't apply to just any 'ol market/fair. Do your HW first & find out a bit about it. How long have they been around, how do they promote? Get feedback from other vendors who have worked it before. It pays to do this rather than waste your time at an event that no one attends or showing up to an event that isn't for your target market.

2 comments:

Good Girls Studio said...

thanks for the interview! It was lots of fun!

Unknown said...

I was tickled to find out how cool you are!! Thanks for the interview...